Friday 25 December 2009

Mr. Liu Xiaobo's Sentence - After 10 years, can we still enjoy freedoms & rights we have ?

It isn't the first time, Chinese being in jailed for what they've said / what they've written.

The Chinese government claims itself to be a civilized country.
A civilized country, which doesn't allow voices against the government.
A civilized country, which allows one party ONLY to be in power.
A civilized country, which limits access of the Internet of her people (include popular community web sites e.g. facebook, twitter, youtube etc).
A civilized country, which puts her people into jail simply because of some peaceful expressions on their political view.
A civilized country, which judges with closed doors.

I feel ashamed to be a Chinese, honestly. Whenever I'm asked about my nation, I just simply say 'I come from Hong Kong'.

First they came - Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.


If we do nothing and just sit back, we or our next generations may face the same problem one day.
Can we still enjoy freedoms we've after 10 years ?
Can we still have the rights we've now after 10 years ?
Can we still strike on every 1Jul after 10 years ?

I'm not sure what I can do at this moment. I may throw a boom to Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region one day, perhaps >.*

There are things I'm pretty sure, I will NEVER go to the mainland until it's completely open. I will send the related news about Mr. Liu Xiaobo to people in the mainland. I will try my best not to buy things made in China. These don't help anything, just some silly and silent protests to make myself happier.

News about the sentence of Mr. Liu Xiaobo
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8430548.stm

Chapter 8 in different languages:
http://knol.google.com/k/%E9%9B%B6%E5%85%AB%E5%AE%AA%E7%AB%A0-08%E5%AE%AA%E7%AB%A0-%E7%AE%80%E4%BD%93%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%89%88-%E7%B9%81%E4%BD%93%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%89%88-%E6%97%A5%E6%96%87%E7%89%88-%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E7%89%88-%E6%B3%95%E6%96%87%E7%89%88#Charter_08_(28)English_Version(29)

No comments: